B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Bactridium flavum (anamorph): Distinctive macr

15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Question about Ellis & Ellis
Juuso Äikäs, 08-01-2021 13:36
I'm thinking about purchasing the authors' works Microfungi on Land Plants and Microfungi on Miscellaneous Substrates. The price is fairly high though and the original versions were printed in the 80's, so they are not the most up-to-date works. 

I'm sure there have been many taxonomic changes, but if one is just interested having a decent description of a large number of ascos (Helotiales especially, but descriptions of e.g. pyrenos would also be nice), do you think these are still worth buying?

I've been searching for a relatively comprehensive book about ascos and this pair is the only one that seems interesting to me. Not an over-abundance of literature in this field...
Cameron DK, 08-01-2021 14:09
Re : Question about Ellis & Ellis
Hi Juuso

If buying Microfungi on Land Plants look out for the enlarged edition (1997) rather than the 1st edition (1985). It has further hosts/fungi added in a section at the back.

To help with costs, look out for 2nd hand copies. They can be purchased for as little as E15 each if you are lucky however I would expect the average 2nd price to be around E30 each.

I use the books regularly – they are not of course up to date on some species however they provide a really good starting point, and for many species get you in a good place where you can explore more comprehensive literature.

I would recommend both books.

Cameron

Spooren Marco, 08-01-2021 15:36
Spooren Marco
Hello,

Ido not think the Ellis & Ellis books have much surplus value because most fungi you wil find are not descibed in it.Martin Ellis was a hyphomycetologist, (see his Dematious hyphomycetes books ) and (just for Helotiales i do not know, but i think so )in pyrenomycetes and loculoasco's the books are far obsolete.Even for Pucciniales you can better buy (second hand )the Gauemann monograph.

I recomand my own students to get acces on the von Arx & Mueller booklet on loculoascomycetes, goes to genera, and starting from there most is on internet.Even an old book as Clements and Shear has its merits.

Buy instead of Ellis and Ellis an "Dictionary of Fungi. ""

Or, secondhand the series "The Fungi "by Ainsworth and Sussman.50 years old but still sublime .

Best,

Marco
Juuso Äikäs, 08-01-2021 18:40
Thank you for the answers and tips!
Spooren Marco, 11-01-2021 19:28
Spooren Marco
Hello,

I was a bit negligent by my answer.For Helotiales , ofcourse you can buy, (cheap, first edition, second hand ) British Ascomycetes, by Dennis, whom was THE Helotiales- man in Britain, back then.The book treats "Sphaeriales "as well, but summarily.

Best,

Marco.

O ja,

You can't study fungi if you have nothing to eat !