michel bertrand

Bonjour, Malgré de nombreuses recherches, je n'a

25-03-2024 14:08

Ursula Kozik

Bonjour et bonne journée, On m'a envoyé une tro

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Orbilia
Khomenko Igor, 17-07-2020 17:12
Khomenko IgorHi, this is my first post and I'm looking for help with the identification of this Orbilia.
On Acer log in the area that is flooded for most of the year, except now.
Apothecia up to 1mm, bright orange.
Spores allantoid,
(4.1) 4.9 - 6.4 (6.7) × (1) 1.1 - 1.4 (1.5) µm
Q = (3) 3.8 - 5.4 (6.4) ; N = 28
Me = 5.5 × 1.2 µm ; Qe = 4.5
Each spore with globose spore body and two black spots.
Paraphyses have small bright orange droplets.
I still have a fresh specimen, so I can get more data if needed.
More pictures here:
https://inaturalist.ca/observations/53180147
  • message #64220
  • message #64220
  • message #64220
Hans-Otto Baral, 17-07-2020 17:31
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Orbilia
Hi Igor

welcome to the forum!

You start with high quality and an extraordinary species. I first did not believe that the map shows the correct place, but then I did. So it is from Ottawa.

This is Orbilia xanthoflexa, an undescribed species that I only saw from two collections myself, both on Acer (!), because it is unknown in Europe (and also Asia) so far. This species might not be rare in the northeast of North America but I never found a pubilshed description that fits. It was repeatedly collected by Don Pfister and Rosanne Healy in Massachusetts since a long time, but appears to display some variation in spore width.

The monograph is actually finished, but when it will go online we cannot say yet.

Zotto
Khomenko Igor, 17-07-2020 18:22
Khomenko Igor
Thank you very much Hans-Otto.
No wonder that I couldn't find it myself. It is actually not in Ottawa, but on the other side of the Ottawa river in Gatineau, QC, Canada. I collected two species of Orbilia from that area. The second I believe is Orbilia dryadum, but I could be wrong. What do you think?
https://inaturalist.ca/observations/53320066

I also collected O.sarraziniana, O.luteorubella, and O.xanthostigma from Ottawa this year.
https://inaturalist.ca/observations?d1=2020-01-01&place_id=any&subview=grid&taxon_id=353030&user_id=ikhom&verifiable=any

Hans-Otto Baral, 17-07-2020 22:18
Hans-Otto Baral
Yes indeed, O. dryadum is perfect. Which key do you have or which version of the monograph?

I also looked at your O. luteorubella, it could be O. rosea judging from the colour. This depends on the helicoon- vs. anguillospora-like anamorph, which is rarely seen with the apothecia.
Khomenko Igor, 18-07-2020 03:35
Khomenko Igor
Hans-Otto, I don't have a key or a monograph yet for the Orbilia genus. I do get information online, from websites, few articles, forum discussions, and your shared Google Drive with lots of pictures really helps. I do create a spreadsheet with data that helps me to narrow the selection in the future, but I was avoiding Orbilia because of many reasons and paying more attention to other genera that easier to identify for amateur mycologist like me.

I haven't seen any conidia on O. luteorubelia specimens (I have two). The last specimen, the bright pink, is from a drainage canal in a forest where the water usually moving, but right now everything is dried out, so it could be O. rosea based on the habitat and the color.
The other specimen is from beaver pond and it is more orange, so I assume that it fits more O. luteorubelia.
Actually I've seen conidia on Orbilia species only ones, and I was unable to identify it. I couldn't match the size of my spores to a species. My spores were just too big. (https://inaturalist.ca/observations/39726458)

Hans-Otto Baral, 18-07-2020 07:41
Hans-Otto Baral
Ah of course, the various forum postings may help. And I am happy you use my folders.

Running water actually fits O. rosea.

Your last specimen could be of the O. albovinosa group but the conidia there are Y-shaped and the apothecia fringed with long glassy processes. Such conidia occur in adjacent groups, so it is not clear to me if it belongs to this or another Orbilia. Even a Fusarium I would not exclude.
Khomenko Igor, 19-07-2020 15:38
Khomenko Igor
Thank you Hans-Otto for your help.

Igor
Khomenko Igor, 30-07-2020 18:08
Khomenko Igor
Do you think this could be Orbilia pilosa?
https://inaturalist.ca/observations/39998556
Sorry, the pictures are not the best.
Hans-Otto Baral, 30-07-2020 20:41
Hans-Otto Baral
Hmm, did you see the paraphyses, best in living state?

Clearly no Orbilia, but the family is unclear to me. The glassy caps are odd, they resemble those of a Protounguicularia, but the hairs are very short here and the spores small.

Calycina vulgaris and Mollisia caespiticia share some of the present features.

Zotto
Khomenko Igor, 31-07-2020 16:51
Khomenko Igor
It was in early spring when the temperature was above freezing during the day and below during the nights, so it may have affected the color. Unfortunately, I didn't see typical paraphyses that I was expecting in Orbilia species. I found, what I thought was paraphyses -cylindrical, septated, forked at the base, but it was difficult to see and I wasn't ready for it.
Protounguicularia looks promising, so if I find it the next time I will know what to look for.
Thank you, Zotto.

P.S. I found another Orbilia xanthoflexa (https://inaturalist.ca/observations/54693273), this time in ON, Canada, so it must be a common species for our region.

Hans-Otto Baral, 31-07-2020 20:35
Hans-Otto Baral
Yes, it's again O. xanthoflexa. Could the substrate again be Acer wood? Which Acer do these leaves belong to?
Khomenko Igor, 31-07-2020 21:18
Khomenko Igor
I want to say that this is very likely from Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum), but there are other species around and it could be from any of them.
Hans-Otto Baral, 31-07-2020 21:27
Hans-Otto Baral
o.k., hardly believable that this is always on Acer.
Hans-Otto Baral, 01-08-2020 08:51
Hans-Otto Baral
What also has such glassy caps is Pezizella chapmanii, at least in my study of a collection on Picea wood. It is in my Olla folder where I now placed yours also. Apos have a stalk.
Khomenko Igor, 02-08-2020 03:33
Khomenko Igor
I re-examined the specimen and microscopy is resemble well your drawing of Pezizella chapmanii.
I added more pictures (https://inaturalist.org/observations/39998556).
My vertical section looks very close to your drawing, and the size of my spores, size, and shape of asci, and paraphyses matching yours. I was unable to see a stalk and if it is exist it is very short. I looked at the bark and it maybe came from a conifer tree. There are plenty of conifer trees around, so if we had windy days it may have been blown from the other tree.
Thank you for your help, Zotto.
Khomenko Igor, 16-09-2020 15:36
Khomenko Igor
Hi Zotto,
I was unable to id this Orbilia by myself. Would you be able to help me? Very likely on Acer saccharum. It was next to Calycina confluens.

https://inaturalist.ca/observations/59291299

Thanks,
Igor

Hans-Otto Baral, 16-09-2020 22:59
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Igor

could you please send me your pics by Email? I would love to include them in my folder.

This is the rarely collected Orbilia polybrocha, a member of series Drechslerella, earlier also called Orbilia tenebricosa.

This species was recorded by Don Pfister in the US and by me in Tübingen.

Zotto
Khomenko Igor, 17-09-2020 03:27
Khomenko Igor
Thank you Zotto,
I emailed it.

Igor
Guy Marson, 27-01-2021 13:42
Hello Igor,

Yesterday I received a parcel (sent end of December 2020) by you with 4 Canadian Orbilias.
Can I do barcoding with all the 4 species or is the material too little / valuable to sacrifice apothecia for barcoding?

Cheers,

Guy

Khomenko Igor, 27-01-2021 15:40
Khomenko Igor
Hi Guy,

I'm not familiar with the terminology and I'm not sure what you are asking me. It is all at your consideration what to do with the material that I sent you and you got everything I had from these specimens.

Best regards,
Igor

Hans-Otto Baral, 27-01-2021 16:51
Hans-Otto Baral
Barcoding is taking a sequence of the ITS region. As you sent the completel material, I suggest that Guy sends back what remains, either to you or to me, as a voucher for the case that someone wants to describe a new species.
Khomenko Igor, 27-01-2021 17:41
Khomenko Igor
Thank you Zotto for the explanation. I don't need the material if it is something interesting maybe you can make use of it.
Guy Marson, 27-01-2021 21:00
Hi Igor,

Here I am sending a picture that shows your really excellent fastening method. Extremely robust, also for rough transport on all postal routes and also very well mounted for microscopic sections or the isolation of entire apothecia e.g. for DNA extraction. Simply exemplary !! Many thanks to you for this care and for sending the material!
When I have results, I'll get in touch with you.

Best regards,

Guy

• message #67305
Khomenko Igor, 30-01-2021 01:48
Khomenko Igor
Thank you Guy,

I also sent you another specimen 2019-496 (https://inaturalist.ca/observations/35958367) and you should get it in 2-3 weeks. This specimen is only a part of the collection, but it should have about two dozen large cups on the front side of the bark.

Best regards,
Igor

Guy Marson, 30-01-2021 14:21

Hi Igor,

Your collection shown on iNaturalist appears to be Orbilia comma. If you can ever add a tiny bit of wood, it's easy to tell the difference between elm and ash as substrate.
I'm curious how the Canadian comma differs from the European one.

Cheers,

Guy

Hans-Otto Baral, 30-01-2021 15:24
Hans-Otto Baral
I have placed these pics in my Habrostictis folder (because of the conidia and spathulate paraphyses and partly long and narrow SBs) under the name caudata-like (because of the spores). Ulmus seems to me anyway probable.

Let's see what comes out :-)
Guy Marson, 31-01-2021 15:19
I hope you will be right, with the result that O. caudata would have a different sequence (other than O. comma).

G-).