26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Lachnum with "golden" hairs
Chris Yeates, 06-06-2015 20:04
Chris YeatesBonsoir tous
Following my coming across "Psilachnum guttules" in a collection of Lachnum clavigerum on Chamerion angustifolium - http://www.ascofrance.com/search_forum/36237 when I collected a Lachnum on another dead stem of this plant I wanted to see if I could find them again.
To all intents and purposes this second collection was also L. clavigerum: spores right size, asci without croziers, balls of crystals present on tips of hairs. One apothecium had asci with the guttules, another (at a slightly earlier stage of development) apparently did not.
But what surprised me was that a further apothecium I examined showed, in a squash, a perfect ring of golden coloured hairs. I had not noticed any colouration under the stereo microscope, but I wasn't looking for anything other than to remove an apo for examination. Closer observation showed that this colour was produced by numerous golden-coloured acicular crystals covering the distal half of the hairs. Increasing pressure on the coverslip was sufficient for many of them to become free - to start with the hairs were so encrusted as to remind me of an Incrupila. The hairs (ignoring the crystals) were rather more heavily verrucose than the other apo's examined, but otherwise it seemed close to typical L. clavigerum, though there were no globose terminal balls of crystals.
I have struggled to think why a single apothecium should appear so different when in a discrete colony on a single plant stem. I have not examined any more apo's, I am keeping the stem damp to see if any more appear to display this strange appearance.
* All the photographs are of living material mounted in water.   
* The yellow colouration of the crystals is not an artefact - I double checked by examination without Nomarski (therefore no polarisation).
* The crystals were definitely only on the hairs and must have been produced there, no other part of the apothecium showed any such presence, nor was there any evidence of external contamination on the stem itself.
* Annoyingly I had treated the squash with IKI to check apex coloration (BB). In retrospect it would have been interesting to see if any reagents reacted to or removed the crystals. I am hoping that I might find another similar apothecium among the dozens on the stem.

I would be interested to know if others have come across something similar.

amitiés
Chris

• message #36383
  • message #36383
  • message #36383
  • message #36383
Hans-Otto Baral, 06-06-2015 21:29
Hans-Otto Baral
Re : Lachnum with "golden" hairs
Hi Chris

I am not very familia with L. clavigerum. But you can test KOH also to the IKI mount, the IKI colour will disappear and then you see perhaps the persistent crystals - or not.

No idea about this effect. Looks almost like in Trichopeziza.

Zotto