Accès membres

Mot de passe perdu? S'inscrire

05-05-2024 12:55

Sylvie Le Goff

Bonjour Peut on dire que les poils soient vitreux?

05-05-2024 09:59

Gernot Friebes

Hello,I failed to identify this anamorph, which gr

19-04-2015 20:20

Enrique Rubio Enrique Rubio

Hi again Could you help me with this paper? NANN

30-04-2024 16:22

François Bartholomeeusen

Dear forum members,On April 25 2024, I found one f

03-05-2024 18:04

Riet van Oosten Riet van Oosten

Hello, Found by Laurens van der Linde on Rubus fr

02-05-2024 20:04

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, Une question à propos de la réaction a

01-05-2024 23:22

Ethan Crenson

Hi all, Found late last week in a New York City p

29-04-2024 21:32

Robin Isaksson Robin Isaksson

Hi! Found in Sweden. Ascomata with haris, se

01-05-2024 12:54

F. JAVIER BALDA JAUREGUI

Hello, everyone.An idea for this pyreno, I found u

30-04-2024 16:59

Sylvie Le Goff

Bonjour. Petite pézize récoltée au sol en bordu

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
On Potentilla palustris
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 00:02
Hello,
I went to find more Moellerodiscus on Potentilla and luckily found some.
But I found something else too. Hymenoscyohus kermesinus and these tiny whitish ascomycetes, which are about 0,1 mm wide (photo is poor):
  • message #12284
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 00:04
Re:On Potentilla palustris
The spores are about 5-6x2-3 and asci about 27-40x4-5, IKI-.
  • message #12285
Hans-Otto Baral, 12-07-2010 08:40
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Marja

I fear this needs more characters. IKI- is a striking feature. But are there any hairs? how is the excipulum? Mollisina would be a possibility. In my database I have only Hyaloscypha secalina for Potentilla with such a spore size that could fit.

H. kermesinus I never identified. How can you be sure? Arendholz had it on Betula leaves.

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 09:38
Hello Zotto,
this seems not to carry hairs. Photos of bigger magnification were poor, but heres one with smaller magnification.

Hymenoscyphus kermesinus is easy to be identified. It's orange-reddish, short stipate, grows on leaves and has only two spores is asci. I've found it before on betula and salix leaves 5-6 times during two years. So my opinion is, that it is not very rare. I'm quite sure, that I identify it, because last year Seppo confirmed the determination. Before I started to find it on a regular basic, it was found maybe only once in Finland, which is very suprising.
  • message #12287
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 09:43
Here's a photo of H. kermesinus on salix leaf.
By the way it seems to grow bigger on salix than betula. It is really easy to find, when its is even 3-4 mm wide.
  • message #12288
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 09:49
I took only one poor microphoto, because I noticed at once, that I already knew it:
  • message #12289
Hans-Otto Baral, 12-07-2010 10:06
Hans-Otto Baral
Strange, this kermesinus! Did you ever test, is it IKI+?

For the minute white I think I can see the Mollisina hairs. narrow, somewhat branched glassy processes. I have one collection of Mollisina with asci IKI-, and this was on Alnus leaves (Mollisina ´alni´, HB 2937.JPG)

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 10:25
Thank you,
And I saw no hairs ;)

H. kerrmesinus is IKI+ even on my notes. I've got some home, if you want a specimen.
It's not the most typical Hymenoscyphus, but the colouring was Hymenoscyphus like.

Marja
Hans-Otto Baral, 12-07-2010 10:41
Hans-Otto Baral
I mainly wonder about whether it could be sclerotiniaceous. Don't send me, I have little time presently. But you could try a photo of the asci in IKI to see if my suspicion is out of question.

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 11:59
Hello,
knowing the quality of my microphotos, you can't expect much. But here you are:
  • message #12297
Hans-Otto Baral, 12-07-2010 12:03
Hans-Otto Baral
yes I know. At least it does not look like typical Sclerotinia-type. But Moellerodiscus is a possibility. The excipulum is of globose or prismatic cells? Sorry for bothering you...
Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 12:40
Hello,
don't worry, I should have time. (Just that overcollecting means no time ;) )

I threw the preparate in water after taking too few photos.
Does this help any? If not I'll make another, but I think, that the cells were not globose.

Somehow this story went out of the original line, but that happens...
  • message #12299
Hans-Otto Baral, 12-07-2010 13:39
Hans-Otto Baral
Sorry, there is nothing to see. How big is your fungus? more than 1 mm? Dennis 1956 describes it as 0.5 mm, almost sessile (liek a Calycellina!). Excipulum of isodiametrical cells.

This specis would really need thorough documentation in the living state... I fear there is high confusion.

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 15:46
Well,
I may have mixed these, it belongs to my habits ;) I can't study the types.
Those I found on Potentilla were small (0,3 mm) and almoust sessile.
Those on Betula are larger, maybe 1 mm and short stipate depending of light or something.
Those on Salix are usually larger even 3-4 mm wide and usually short stipate.
But they all have only two spores in asci, are redish and grow on leaves...
I though the size was a matter of metabolism or weather or light or who knows, what they need to grow up ;)
The description is propably taken of a dried sample and I've noticed that I can't always trust the descriptions because of that, sizes and even colours seems to be something about...

I made a preparate of the small, fresh Pontentilla specimen and of a big, dried Salix specimen.
The spores were a little and cells lot bigger in the Salix specimen, but I suppose they can still be the same species. Here's a photo of the salix specimen.

Can it be, that the better (more to digest) substrate make bigger fungi?
  • message #12302
Hans-Otto Baral, 12-07-2010 17:50
Hans-Otto Baral
Such big differences in apo size are strange. I think Dennis rehydrated the apothecia for describing, but I am, not sure.

A macrophoto of the small ones on Potentlla would be nice, to get an idea. The micros you added are from Potentilla or Salix?

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 12-07-2010 18:01
Heres a photo of these on potentilla.The biggest one was about 0,5 mm.
The first micro is on potentilla the middle ones on Betula and the last as I mentioned on Salix.

I started to reall some síze differences I've noticed and Scutellinia scutellata came to my mind.
I've sometimes found quite small on sand (maybe there was a tree root down, don't know), they were much smaller than those I meet on stumps or plant debris.
And what about Hymenoscyphus scutula on grasses and other substrates...
  • message #12304
Hans-Otto Baral, 13-07-2010 11:04
Hans-Otto Baral
These differences in apo size do exist, actually. In Sarcoscypha they can easily be explained by the volume of the available substrate. In other cases it is not that clear. Variability is everywhere, and often the constantand important characters are small and hidden, or only seen in mature living specimens.

Zotto