Accès membres

Mot de passe perdu? S'inscrire

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

21-04-2024 14:29

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Brunnipila: Distinct macro and habitat,

19-04-2024 14:28

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

Cudoniella tenuispora: Distinctive macro and habit

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Black partially immersed stout-necked pyrenomycetes
Ethan Crenson, 06-03-2018 03:42
In the Bronx, New York.  Small black uni-peritheciate, partially immersed pyrenomycetes, with short stout beaks on a globose black fruiting body on well rotted wood.

Asci 89-104 by 10-11µm IKI+. 
Spores ellipsoid, guttulate 15-16 by 5-5.5µm

Any ideas?  Thanks!
  • message #52599
  • message #52599
  • message #52599
  • message #52599
  • message #52599
Eduard Osieck, 06-03-2018 12:04
Re : Black partially immersed stout-necked pyrenomycetes
This reminds me of the genus Torrentispora, which has been treated recently in a paper by Réblová et al.: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166061617300507 .

Thanks to this publication I could identify some earlier collections of Torrentispora.

Eduard
Jacques Fournier, 06-03-2018 14:40
Jacques Fournier
I agree with Eduard, Torrentispora is a good guess and microscopy fits well T. fibrosa.
Which is misleading on your macrophotos is that the long necks of this species are broken.
Did you find it next to a brook, suggesting an aquatic habitat before being washed out of the water? If yes it would be a further element supporting Eduard's identification.
Best,
Jacques
Ethan Crenson, 06-03-2018 16:38
Eduard and Jacques, thank you for your help.  I believe you are right that Torrentispora fits and that T. fibrosa is a strong possibility.  Examining the collection again I found a few examples of fruiting bodies in which the necks had not broken.  These were mostly present in fruiting bodies which were more fully immersed in the substrate. 

As for the proximity to water, the collection was made near the Bronx River, however it was not in the floodplain when I found it.  I suppose it is possible that the wood was moved.  The collection was made at the New York Botanical Garden, where there is of course a lot of management.

I have a question about the apical annulus.  Does it appear non-amyloid in my photos?  Please excuse my lack of experience.  I see that the apical annulus is very distinct, even without iodine.  but the Lugol's does seem to change the color somewhat--perhaps a bit more green?  How would you characterize what you see in my third photo in the bottom row?

Again many thanks for the comments and for directing me to the Réblová paper.

Ethan
  • message #52615
  • message #52615
  • message #52615
Jacques Fournier, 06-03-2018 16:59
Jacques Fournier
Hi Ethan,
in my experience such apparent greenish reactions with iodine may be in relation with the illumination of your microscope, the yellow light of halogen bulbs being the worse. Achromatic objectives often deviate refractive structures from hyaline to greenish in some mounting media. Finally the white balance setting of your camera may be involved too.
All this makes interpretation of images of microscopic slides sometimes tricky.
Jacques
Martina Reblova, 07-03-2018 19:53
Hello,

On the photographs with ascospores, some always seem a bit darker than others (positioned usually on the left or left-down side of the photos - in water). Is it possible that they turn pale brown as they mature? If ascospores become pale brown, your species reminds me of Calyptosphaeria tropica, originally described as Lentomitella tropica (Huhndorf SM, Greif M, Miller AN, 2008. Two new genera in the Magnaporthaceae, a new addition to Ceratosphaeria and two new species of Lentomitella. Mycologia 100: 940–955). Also, the shape of asci with a short, obtuse stipe better fits this genus than Torrentispora, whose ascospores remain hyaline prior to discharge and ascus stipe is longer and slender.

The size of asci and ascospores you gave match perfectly C. tropica, in protologue asci 90–100 x 9–11 um, ascospores 14.5–16 x 5–6 um. The neck, however, was described with several sulcations, but your picture shows glabrous neck. The only species with glabrous neck we saw was C. collapsa, but it has smaller ascospores 10.5–12(–12.5) × 4.5–5 um.

Martina