Accès membres

Mot de passe perdu? S'inscrire

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

21-04-2024 14:29

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Brunnipila: Distinct macro and habitat,

19-04-2024 14:28

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

Cudoniella tenuispora: Distinctive macro and habit

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Nectria cinnabarina s.l. (or something else)
Stephen Mifsud, 27-02-2017 14:07
Stephen MifsudHi, I have found this coral-like aggregates of an ascomycete which i have tentatively identified as Nectria cinnabarina agg.. From Hirooka monograph, I would plac the specimen better in N. cinnabarina s.str rather than N. dematiosa. The population was under bark of a choped branch of Prunus sp. likely P. dulcis but could be a stone fruit too.

However, on searching the forun for Nectria, there ar so many other mediterranean species sthat I came into doubt about my ID. Here is the data

Ascocarp morphology: Clustered ostiolate perithecia
Acocarp colour: Bright red, then blackening when old; purple-blue in KOH, orange-yellow in lactic acid

Ascocarp diameter: 0.16 – 0.32 mm (mean: 0.23 mm)
Ascocarp texture: Rough, Granulated or minutely tuberculate
Ascocarp shape: Spherical then pyriform, opening at the apex by a tiny narrow ostiole sometimes widening to a cupulate shape
Ascocarps sit on a common perithecial stroma, up to 1mm high

Paraphyses not numerous, filamentous, very thin and hyaline, inconspicuous and do not take the stain very well

Ascospore release through an apical orifice without an operculum
Asci: cylindrical to subclavate, slender, slightly bent ot curved, tapering gently towards the base.
No. of Spores 8
Tunic (Wall) Uni-tunicate, hyaline and do not stain well
Ascum length (range) 70 - 100 µm
Ascum length (mean) 84 µm
Ascum width (range) 6.8 - 7.5 µm
Ascum width (mean) 7.1 µm
Ascum L:W ratio 11.8
Iodine reaction (J +/J -) J-ve (but I'm not sure there is a blackish shadoe at the tip with IKI)
Orifice or ascum rim Rim slightly revolute, oriffice narrow, canal-like, surrounded by a thich asus wall.

Spore length: (range) 11.46 - 16 µm
Spore length: (mean) 13.7 µm
Spore width: (range) 4.76 - 7.44 µm
Spore width: (mean) 6.3 µm
Spore Q factor (range): 1.84 - 2.85 µm
Spore Q factor (mean): 2.2
Spore shape: Fusiform to navicular with a constriction at the central septum
Spore septa 1
Spore surface: Smooth or finely rugose when observed at high resolution with LACB
Oil bodies: Two, one at each side of the septum, often seen as a small amorphous body of many aggregates coalescing together until finally forming a distinct globular oil body.
Remarks Spore quite variable in size.

• message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
  • message #47506
Christian Lechat, 27-02-2017 15:21
Christian Lechat
Re : Nectria cinnabarina s.l. (or something else)
Hi Stephen,
your fungus is not the genus Nectria but it could be an old specimen of Cosmospora s. l.
Regards,
Christian

Stephen Mifsud, 27-02-2017 21:27
Stephen Mifsud
Ok I'm a bit disappointed but  can you please tell me what are the main 1 or two characters which led you to Cosmospora not Nectria (I.m trying to culture on Agar, hope no contamination)

Thanks
Christian Lechat, 28-02-2017 05:10
Christian Lechat
Species of the genus Nectria have globoe and verrucose ascomata, which are seated on a pseudoparenchymatous stroma.
Your fungus as pyriform ascomata and seems fungicolous on your images.

Christian
Stephen Mifsud, 28-02-2017 08:49
Stephen Mifsud
Good morning Christian and thank you.  I agree that the perithecia are pyriform and I missed the importance that nectria are globose. I have searched for literature and online sources and I found An overview of the taxonomy, phylogeny, and typification of nectriaceous fungi in Cosmospora, Acremonium, Fusarium, Stilbella, and Volutella by Grafenhan et al. where Cosmospora is described as:

Stroma inconspicous or absent [Not sure]. Perithecia scattered to gregarious[YES], pyriform with an acute or apical papilla[YES], collapsing cupulate or pinched when dry[YES], orange red or bright red [YES], turning dark red in KOH+[YES, but purple-violet], smooth walled [Maybe], usually 150–450 ?m high [YES]. Asci cylindrical to narrowly clavate[YES], with an apical ring [I think I've seen this sometimes, not sure], 8 uniseriate or partly biseriate ascospores [YES]. Ascospores initially hyaline but becoming yellow brown to reddish brown, 1-septate [YES], becoming tuberculate when mature [I think so].

Habitat: On fruiting bodies and stromata of other fungi, e.g.Fomitopsis, Hypoxylon, Inonotus, Stereum, often isolated from soil. [I'm not convinced]

I am not convinced that the perithecia are fungicolous and the black stroma-like bedding seems to be part of the nectriaceae species. Young individual perithecia seems to be growing directly from the stem, so I think we have a lignicolous species rather fungicolous.  How can we confirm this???

Also what literature do you suggest on this topic?
Stephen Mifsud, 28-02-2017 08:56
Stephen Mifsud
Here are some more photos of the ascomata...  When young, it seems there is no stroma or then very thin->negligible  (nb fruting bodies are 0.2mm high), but when mature, then colonies are sitting on a black stroma-like mass ?!?   Secondly, for me they look  to be growing directly from the surface of the wood, but then, what is that white layer???   
  • message #47537
  • message #47537
  • message #47537
Christian Lechat, 28-02-2017 09:18
Christian Lechat
you should make a vertical section through ascomata and stroma deeply in the wood
Stephen Mifsud, 28-02-2017 09:52
Stephen Mifsud
No easy to slice smething which is 0.2-0.3mm but I do my best from my eyes and hands. Do you suggest pretreatment eg KOH ?
Stephen Mifsud, 03-03-2017 21:13
Stephen Mifsud
I had time to hand section some sections. In my opinion, the fungi are not fungicolous and they started directly on the wood beneath the bark, then they form a blackish stroma which turns violet in KOH and more perihecia are developped gradually above with old ones becoming impregnated at the bottom.  Maybe I am wrong biut that is my interpretation. 

Hope this give some more clues, and I would really appreciate your expert help.
  • message #47625
  • message #47625
  • message #47625
  • message #47625
  • message #47625
  • message #47625
  • message #47625
Christian Lechat, 04-03-2017 04:22
Christian Lechat
I confirm Cosmospora s. l.
Cheers,
Christian
Stephen Mifsud, 04-03-2017 06:37
Stephen Mifsud
Thank you. I see if I can manage to grow the anamorph on potato dextrose agar. I am now understanding the genus concepts better. I have one question which is difficult to deduce. Is my specimen fungicolous or corticolous ? Young or isolated ascocarps seems to be growing on the cortex, while mature aggregates are enbedded in a black mass which I can't really convince myself that it is a Pyrenomycete. Can you help on this difficulty as it is an important decission for keying out.

Christian Lechat, 04-03-2017 10:13
Christian Lechat
it could be on a Deuteromycetes,
Chirstian
Stephen Mifsud, 29-05-2017 13:30
Stephen Mifsud
I've reposted this fungus with new information.
I managed to grow colonies from the teleomorph producing white colonies

Follow here:

http://www.ascofrance.com/forum?page=1&id=49058

Christian Lechat, 29-05-2017 16:05
Christian Lechat
Hi Stephen,
I think your fungus could be "Cosmospora' flavoviridis, which is not Cosmospora s. str.

Regards,
Christian
Stephen Mifsud, 29-05-2017 20:29
Stephen Mifsud
Dear Christian, thank you for your opinion. I have considered also this taxon, but according the key by Rossman and Samuels all 3 or 4 considered taxa have something not matching as follows:

C. meliospicola: Distribution central Africa and North Africa - not european (but Malta is close to Africa!); spore size - OK; Spores smooth to slighlly spinulose - OK; On wood possibly fungicolous (OK-ish); anamorph Acremonium-like - I don't know

C. stilbosporae: Distribution Europe - OK; growing on Valsa sorbi - NO; ascospores (13- )13.5- 16.5{-18.5) x (5.5- )6-7(- 7.5) - a bit too large; anamorph Fusarium - I don't know.

C. flavoviridis (Sphaerostilbe flavoviridis): Anamorph colony greenish - mine where white, but yellowish on SDA (see image); Distribution North temperate (North Europe and UK) - maybe too north for Malta ? ; On stromatic ascomycetes on wood - YES. 

(C. dingleyae: offers a good match but from New Zealand!) 

Christian, may I ask why you would exclude C. meliospicola and 2) is my anamorph an Acromonium or Fusarium or Acromenoid-like Fusarium hmm....

Further info: http://www.mycodb.fr/fiche.php?genre=Cosmospora&espece=flavoviridis
  • message #49071
Nick Aplin, 30-05-2017 03:14
Hi Stephen,

Your anamorph doesn't correspond to C.meliopsicola (which is said to have unicellular, ellipsoid conidia).

You conidia are (at least?) 3-septate and are fusarium-like. The anamorph of C.flavoviride is reported to be F.melanochlorum which, according to Samuels, Rossman et al, is "yellow, becoming olivaceus with yellow-green pigment spreading on to the agar".

Hope that helps,
Nick

Stephen Mifsud, 30-05-2017 05:34
Stephen Mifsud
I have read some more information on C. flavoviridis and it fits best for my specimen as you have kindly suggested. I also found that this species prefers dead branches (same as for my specimen) and occurs in the South of Europe, so the distribution is OK. 

Many thanks for you help. If you need any of my photos high-res for any use, just let me know. As I see this is the first time this Cosmospora is reported on AscoFrance. 

Great!

Related info:
https://www.dgfm-ev.de/publikationen/artikelsuche/ansaetze-zur-erfassung-der-taxonomischen-struktur-der-ascomycetengattung-cosmospora-und-ihrer-nebenfruchtformen/download