15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

13-04-2024 21:10

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Cistella on dicots: Habitat, macro, hair

08-04-2024 19:57

Elisabeth Stöckli

Bonsoir,Récolté au bord du chemin, apothécie 0.

15-04-2024 16:09

Sylvie BIANCARDINI

Bonjour,Trouvé cet ascomycète sur vieille bouse

07-04-2024 20:49

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

Another species that appears easy to identify from

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Fungal spores?
Renée Enevold, 21-02-2017 16:26
Off cause a little background information would be appropriate. I am a palynologist (working with pollen analysis) and I have found this/these spore/spores in my slides from a series of prehistoric sediment samples. They appear numerous and variable and somehow connected to anthrogogenic disturbance of a small forest hollow. I am hoping to get a little closer to a taxon and maybe some ecological information. I have had a look at the Hyphomycetes conidia and could it be the Glomerulomyces fibulosus? I hope that you will excuse my bad terminology, not being a mycologist.
  • message #47384
Thomas Læssøe, 22-02-2017 09:32
Re : Fungal spores?
maybe it would be good to tell where you got the spore from and how it was prepared. I think any wild guess would be welcome :-)
Alain GARDIENNET, 22-02-2017 09:37
Alain GARDIENNET
Yes, Thomas. "One fungus = one name", but : "one spore = one fungus" is not possible,  neither "one spore = one name"  is possible, logically :)
Dartanha Soares, 22-02-2017 11:41
Dartanha Soares
In a perfect world, where guesses become certainties, the "spore" will probably be a pollen grain.
That is my "best guess"
Chris Yeates, 22-02-2017 12:43
Chris Yeates
I too would vote for pollen . . .
Jason Karakehian, 22-02-2017 16:02
Jason Karakehian
Maybe it's a bulbil, or bulbil-like conidium. If you think so then try Genera of Hyphomycetes (2011) there are a few pages toward the end of the plates section that treat these. If you have more information (and more than one spore) maybe you can have a go at a determination.
Renée Enevold, 03-03-2017 11:46
Thank you very much, Jason. I have had a look in Genera of Hyphomycetes and at the Glomerulomyces fibulosus. Do you think I am on the right track?
Dartanha Soares, 03-03-2017 12:17
Dartanha Soares
Glomerulomyces is an hyaline fungus, additionally each cell has only a single pore, your "spore" has several pores in each cell. As I said before, this is more likely to be a pollen grain. It looks like a tetrad, similar to those of Typha, members of Ericaceae, etc.
Renée Enevold, 10-03-2017 12:39
No, I am afraid these are not pollen garins, the wall is completely different. These spores are also seen in clumps with more than four cells and often I find single cells. The wall might have been colored by the preparation treatment, but in this case treatment was very mild, only a little KOH and HCl was added, so I assume that it would not color the wall. Could it be any other "bulbil"?

Jason Karakehian, 10-03-2017 13:16
Jason Karakehian
Hi Renee, please upload more photos if you have them. In my very limited experience with these, I would think that we may possibly see a hypha attached to one of these structures (if they are fungal). This would have been the point of attachment where this cell (or group of cells) developed from a "conidiogenous" cell. In short - look for any structures that might tell us something about its development, and upload those for us to look at. Also, any measurements, etc. Also, it is always best to mount in water first and make observations, then add KOH or anything else. Some fungi have strong reactions even with a 2% concentration of KOH, turning their walls darker colors of brown or even green in the case, for example, of the mycorrhizal basidiomycete genus Tomentella. You will want to make note of any color changes in different mountants, but use water as your "base line".  Best - Jason
PS - Also, does the literature that is specific to your line of work discuss how to work with fungal samples at all? One would think that the chances of finding pollen grains in a sediment sample might be higher than finding more than one fungal spore of the same species in that sample - but I don't know?