26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Rutstroemia (?) on Camellia leaves
Nick Aplin, 28-07-2015 23:46

Salut à tous,

Yesterday I found many apothecia of this interesting species on fallen leaves of Camellia japonica They measure up to 1.8 mm and had short stalks (up to 1mm). They were present on almost every leaf I inspected.

Asci IKI BB, croziers not observed (despite intense searching...)

Ascospores 9.8 - 11.9 x 5 - 6 µm, usually with two very large guttules and several smaller ones, with delicate sheaths which quickly disappear in water.

Paraphyses with a long, continuous vacuole (as in Mollisia)

Flank cells often with brown encrustation, and with large refractive vacuoles which quickly collapse and turn brown.

My specimen seems quite close to R.'kalevi' , though the ascospore dimensions are just a little different, as is the guttulation (and substrate). I'll come back later with some photos of  ascus bases.

Am I thinking along the right lines? Has anyone collected anything similar on Camellia?

Amitiés,

Nick

• message #37166
  • message #37166
  • message #37166
Chris Yeates, 29-07-2015 03:08
Chris Yeates
Re : Rutstroemia (?) on Camellia leaves
Hi Nick
this is just an idle thought - I'm sure others will prove far more knowledgeable - but those spores remind me of those of Trochila spp.
best wishes
Chris
Lothar Krieglsteiner, 29-07-2015 06:33
Lothar Krieglsteiner

I have no idea what species it could be - Camellia is a substrate not growing in Central Europe. But I think it is a Sclerotiniaceae because of the type of apical apparatus. And - yes - why not Rutstroemia? The spores are fully guttulate and elongate, and the macroscopical appearance could fit.

Regards from Lothar

Hans-Otto Baral, 29-07-2015 08:15
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Nick

what an interesting species! I see that I do not have any asco on Camellia leaves in my database, and I have no idea of the species. Rutstroemia is a good option. What shape do the excipular cells have? A photo would be useful, also if there is any gel layer.

Is it a park where you collected the fungus?

Zotto
Masanori Kutsuna, 29-07-2015 08:58
Hello Nick

I collected similar disco on Camellia japonica in Japan, relatively common in summer.
Ascospores of Japan materials, 10.2-12.8 x 4.5-5.6 ?m, seem pale brown after discharge.

Kutsuna

• message #37170
Nick Aplin, 30-07-2015 01:36

Hi all,

Amazing Kutsuna! - I had hoped that this fungus was known in Japan!

I saw a few old light brown spores and your macroscopy and spore size fit well with mine. I don't suppose you found a name?

Zotto - Yes, a park/public garden. There is no gel -  The third photo shows the area directly below the hymenium - Sorry but the anatomical teminology escapes me :)

Hopefully you agree that the ascus bases have no croziers (I found the photography tricky here!). Sometimes the ascogenus cells have little 'bulges' but I never saw these reach up to make a 'full' crozier.

Best wishes and apologies for the many photos,

Nick

• message #37178
  • message #37178
  • message #37178
  • message #37178
  • message #37178
  • message #37178
  • message #37178
Hans-Otto Baral, 30-07-2015 07:11
Hans-Otto Baral
Interesting indeed! Absence of croziers is rather rare in sclerotiniaceous fungi, and the excipulum of t. angularis exceptional within Rutstoemia (though occurring in R. bolaris).

So we should know quite enough about this species - maybe Japanese workers (Tsuyoshi Hosoya, Yanjie Zhao) could help? I will send them a link.

Zotto