Hi everyone, Found on attached branches of top pa

28-04-2024 18:05

Bernard CLESSE Bernard CLESSE

Bonsoir à toutes et tous,J'ai trouvé ce matin ce

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Asco with striate ascospores on Carpinus
Gernot Friebes, 04-03-2015 12:34
Hi,

I have recently collected this species on a corticated branch of Carpinus betulus on the ground. I am hoping that someone might recognize it. The asci are quite thick-walled and appear bitunicate but that might be deceiving. They do have an apical ring that is visible in Congo Red but does not stain in Lugol. The ascospores measure 18-22 x 10-12 µm, they are one-celled, brown, and striate. No sheath observed. For photos please see the attached PDF file.

Thank you and best wishes,
Gernot
Paul Cannon, 04-03-2015 13:47
Re : Asco with striate ascospores on Carpinus
I think your fungus is Valsaria insitiva - the asci look bitunicate (but probably aren't) and I've seen collections with ornamented ascospores. But I suspect that Nick's fungus is different, his spores are bigger and the configuration of the ascomata looks different.
Gernot Friebes, 04-03-2015 15:49
Hi Paul,

thanks for your suggestion. I believe to know Valsaria insitiva fairly well and can actually exclude it here. In V. insitiva the stromata are different, as is the ascospore ornamentation (not striate).

Nick's fungus indeed is a different fungus to this one so I'm afraid I don't quite understand the connection.

Best wishes,
Gernot
Jacques Fournier, 04-03-2015 18:30
Jacques Fournier
Hi Gernot and Paul,
I agree with Paul this weird fungus has many microscopical traits recalling Valsaria but the circinate arrangement of perithecia apparently lacking stromatic tissues does not fit this genus. Valsaria is peculiar in having cylindrical paraphyses hardly longer than asci and apically free, which does not seem to be the case in Gernot' fungus. Something to check carefully anyway, the hamathecium may be a very discriminant character in some critical cases.
Interestingly I found once  something with very similar asci and ascospores on submerged wood, differing by separate immersed ascomata with a subhyaline wall and a black neck and slightly smaller ascospores. I have absolutely no clue about its taxonomic status either and it seems difficult to go further without molecular support.
Nice find anyway Gernot!
Cheers,
Jacques
Paul Cannon, 04-03-2015 18:34
Interestingly, Munk illustrated Valsaria insitiva with just such a stromatal arrangement, though he clearly had doubts about the identification as he referred to it as cfr. insitiva. Another job for Hermann and Walter, perhaps...
Jaklitsch Walter, 04-03-2015 20:24
Hi there,
I do not know the fungus. It is definitely no Valsaria. Actually we did the job on Valsaria already (case closed), as I submitted a paper on Valsaria to Fungal Diversity in the end of January. Let´s see when it comes out. Jacques knows the genus very well, as he as a co-author contributed a lot to this paper.
Cheers, Walter
Gernot Friebes, 05-03-2015 09:26
Thanks to everyone for the interesting input! It seems like a hard task to find a name for this fungus for now but maybe some day a solution will be found.

Best wishes,
Gernot
Jaklitsch Walter, 05-03-2015 13:52

Hello Gernot,

I forgot to acknowledge that you also know the genus Valsaria. Thanks for your material that we included in our work.

Cheers, Walter