15-04-2024 14:37

Eric Rousseau

Bonjour,Je sais que les cyphelles ne sont pas des

13-04-2024 21:10

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Cistella on dicots: Habitat, macro, hair

08-04-2024 19:57

Elisabeth Stöckli

Bonsoir,Récolté au bord du chemin, apothécie 0.

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Leucoscypha, Octospora or Something Else
Peter Thompson, 28-07-2014 19:54
Hello Everyone,

I have been looking into the possible identity of an orange discomycete which was mainly growing on soil and roots, in an area which I believe would have been covered with water until quite recently.

They seem to closely resemble some species of Octospora, with whitish, dentate margins. Although most were growing with mosses, as would be expected of Octospora, my image shows one fruit body also on a leaf of Betula pendula.

There are also some orange species in the genus Leucoscypha, which have a few hyaline hairs/hyphae on the excipulum. My microscopy shows some of these. 

I have read the previous discussions which have taken place in Ascofrance involving Leucoscypha semi-immersa, L. patavina, Octospora humosa and O. rubricosa. None of these species seem to fit the characteristics of my sample perfectly, though.

I have also seen conidia, though I think that these belong to a parasite, as a couple of the fruit bodies containing them have liquefied. 

I have attached a photo of the fruit bodies and a sketch of the microscopy and wonder if anyone has any ideas as to which species it might be. 

Thank you,
With Best Wishes,
Peter.

• message #30498
  • message #30498
Marcel Vega, 28-07-2014 22:53
Re : Leucoscypha, Octospora or Something Else
Hi Peter,
what about spore ornamentation in cotton blue (lactophenol)?
Best regards,
Marcel
Peter Thompson, 29-07-2014 10:09
Hello Marcel,

The spore surface appears to be covered with very fine, low warts when cotton blue lactophenol is applied.

The conidia are present in fruit bodies which have not liquefied as well as those which have.

With Best Wishes,
Peter.
Gilbert MOYNE, 29-07-2014 10:22
Je ne connais pas de Leucoscypha avec les spores ornées doncregarder plutôt du côté de Neottiella...
Gilbert
Marcel Vega, 29-07-2014 21:26
Dear Peter,
I agree with Gilbert, although the moss on your pic isn't known to be infected by Neotiella species. You might send me a part of your collection if you like to -just mail me.
Cheers,
Marcel
Peter Thompson, 30-07-2014 13:08
Dear Marcel and Gilbert,

Thank you for your replies in connection with my sample.

I have looked into the genus Neottiella, but nothing is making sense. It seems that the paraphyses of my sample with curved, but not swollen tips and no orange pigmentation rule out all species which I have considered. I hope that I have not missed anything obvious.

Marcel - Thanks for the offer to look at my sample. I will be pleased to send you the remaining uninfected fruit body. I will send you an email separately.

With Best Wishes,
Peter.