Accès membres

Mot de passe perdu? S'inscrire

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

21-04-2024 14:29

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Brunnipila: Distinct macro and habitat,

19-04-2024 14:28

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

Cudoniella tenuispora: Distinctive macro and habit

20-04-2024 16:02

Michel Hairaud Michel Hairaud

Bonjour,On me fait part, pour diffusion d une list

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Large-spored Amphisphaeria (?) on Quercus
Nick Aplin, 15-04-2014 02:06

Salut à tous,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this mysterious Pyrenomycete I found on Quercus robur on 12/4/2014 in the South of England:

Perithecia always immersed, ostioles barely visible, but pushing up bark quite conspicuously

Ascospores 25.7 - 30.9 x 10.3 x 11.8 µm, 2-celled, perfectly smooth, walls thickened at septa, no sheath observed

Asci with a constant hemiamyloid discoid ring (showing no reaction with Meltzer's)

Paraphyses filiform, septate

It keys out to A.vibratilis using Wang, Aptroot & Hyde, but I don't think this fits too well. I'm also pretty sure it's different to Bjorn's collection:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/funghiparadise/d---ascomycota-sordariomycetes/xylariales/amphisphaeriaceae/amphisphaeria-vibratilis-fuckel-e-muell-1962

Ellis & Ellis have A.bufonia on Quercus which fits much better, but Wang et al mention (on page 75) this species has ascal apparatus which blues in Meltzer's....

Has anyone got any better ideas? (or experience with A.bufonia?)

Has hemiamyloidity been documented in Amphisphaeria?

Amitiés,

Nick

• message #28800
  • message #28800
  • message #28800
Alain GARDIENNET, 15-04-2014 07:35
Alain GARDIENNET
Re : Large-spored Amphisphaeria (?) on Quercus

A. fallax has bigger ascospores than vibratilis, but is J+.

We often put quickly some collections with brown ascospores in the genus Amphisphaeria and perhaps another genus could be considered.

But I've no idea immediatly.

Alain

Björn Wergen, 16-04-2014 05:55
Björn Wergen
Hi Nick,

did you test it in Indian Ink? Sheaths are often invisible in H2O or deliquescent after a few minutes. I guess it belongs to Amphisphaeria, but I do not know this one too.

regards,
björn
Nick Aplin, 17-04-2014 00:27

Hi Björn, Alain and everyone,

I've tried searching around in a few other genera - Nothing seems close yet, but I'll keep digging (many other genera with 2-celled brown spores seem to have bitunicate asci which I assume cannot be the case here)

I hadn't tried indian ink up until now (I never before had a problem seeing sheaths in water) - Now I can confirm that every ascospore has one!

It was also interesting to see that my spores don't turn greenish in Meltzer's unlike Björn's collection. Also the guttules seem much more disrupted.

Björn - Out of interest, I don't suppose you tried Lugol's with your collection?

Amitiés,

Nick

• message #28837
  • message #28837
Björn Wergen, 17-04-2014 20:41
Björn Wergen
Hi Nick,

I am always working with Lugol for Sordariomycetes / Pezizomycetes and Barals for Leotiomycetes. I use Melzer only for some long-spored ascomycetes with invisible septations, like the Conioscyphascus or Tubeufia.

I think that most Amphisphaeria species have spores getting a green colour in Lugol / Melzer.

Maybe you can send a sample of your strange collection and I will see what I can do with it.

regards,
björn
Nick Aplin, 17-04-2014 21:12

Hi Björn,

OK, so that explains why your guttules are still intact - Not sure why I assumed your image was mounted in Melzer's.

Thanks for the (brave!) offer - I'll send it over after the weekend. I've severely butchered the specimen with my poor scalpel skills, but I'm sure you'll find something.

Best regards,

Nick

Gernot Friebes, 04-03-2015 12:21
Hi,

I am bumping this thread because I have presumably found the same species as Nick (Amphisphaeria bufonia) and thought it would be interesting to share my observations. Similar to what Nick has observed my fungus reacts red in Lugol and negativ in Melzer. However, pretreatment with KOH before adding Melzer does indeed trigger a clearly blue reaction. Please see the attached PDF.

Best wishes,
Gernot

Nick Aplin, 04-03-2015 17:23

Hi Gernot,

Thanks for the input to this thread. Yours looks to be the same species as mine - I assume yours was on Quercus too?

I didn't pretreat the material with KOH (yet), but perhaps Björn did?

I never found a convincing description for the ascus reaction in A.bufonia, but Wang Aptroot & Hyde describe it as J+ (though they didn't examine type material).

So is A.bufonia hemiamyloid or is ours something else? I never managed to find an answer!

I found this species at two other sites since starting this thread, so presumably it is fairly common. 

Best wishes,

Nick

Jacques Fournier, 04-03-2015 18:57
Jacques Fournier
Hi Nick,
I never encountered your fungus but I think you can safely call it A. bufonia until the type is revised and checked on the hemiamyloidity and presence of a sheath around ascospores. The sheath is already conspicuous on your image 2 where ascospores are tightly packed in the ascus. Such wide sheaths often are overlooked in water because the limits of the sheath extend beyond the place where one expects to find them. India ink is very useful fro that purpose but not always easy to use, it's better to dilute it, but not too much!

Cheers,
Jacques
Gernot Friebes, 05-03-2015 09:05
Hi Nick,

yes, that's true, my fungus was on Quercus robur. It was a corticated branch on the ground.

Best wishes,
Gernot
Björn Wergen, 05-03-2015 17:20
Björn Wergen
I have examined the species Nick had sent to me. I will show the results this evening, I am on work now.

Regards björn
Björn Wergen, 05-03-2015 22:40
Björn Wergen
Here are the photos of the Amphisphaeria collection.
  • message #34377
  • message #34377
  • message #34377
  • message #34377
Nick Aplin, 06-03-2015 23:56

Thanks everyone for the additional information.

Jacques - I'll use the name A.bufonia for now (at least until someone digs up the type specimen). Thanks for the tip for observing sheaths in the ascus, I hadn't noticed that previously.

Nick