Bonjour et bonne journée, On m'a envoyé une tro

25-03-2024 03:56

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Scuttelinia: Macro and habitat.• S. scutella

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Cudoniaceae?
Ibai Olariaga Ibarguren, 31-01-2013 19:45
Hi!

Although it is a long time that I follow the discussions of the forum, I should perhaps introduce myself.  I am Ibai Olariaga, a mycologist with background on Basidiomycetes, but I am becoming more and more interested in Ascomycetes. Three years ago I started to work on Pezizales in Stockholm, with focus on the genus Otidea.

But now an ascomycete of unknown genus keeps me busy. It was collected in North Sweden, Vindenfjällens nature reserve, on sandy acidic ground, in the neighbourhood of Anthelia juratzkana and Polytrichum sexangulare.

It mimics somewhat Mitrula paludosa. Ascomata gregarious, stipitate and pileate, 5-9 mm high. Head convex, margin inrolled and free, pinkish orange, 1.5-3 mm diam. Downside of the pileus floccose-fibrillose, white. Stipe tapering towards the apex, 6-9 x 0.5-1(2) mm, white, floccose-fibrillose, longitudinally somewhat furrowed. Spores slightly curved, with many small refringent guttules, sometimes 1-septate, with a hardly visible gelatinous sheath, 24-36 x 4.5-5 µm. Asci cylindrical, containing biseriate spore, with a blueing apical pore in Melzer. Paraphyses entangled, curved, hooked and branched, hyaline, with slightly refringent granules. I took the micro notes in vivo.

I do not find any species that fits my collection. Rather than Geoglossales, the hooked-branched paraphyses and the spores with gelatinous sheath lead  to Cudoniaceae. I have not seen any stromatic tissue though. Cudonia and Spathularia appear to have a not blueing ascus pore.

Any idea? The species is quite striking. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Ibai.

?

• message #21566
  • message #21566
  • message #21566
  • message #21566
  • message #21566
  • message #21566
  • message #21566
  • message #21566
Illescas Tomás, 31-01-2013 20:21
Illescas Tomás
Re : Cudoniaceae?
Un placer tenerte por aquí, Ibai.

Saludos,

Tomás Illescas

Echanté de te lire ici, IBai.

Amitiés,

Tomás Illescas
Neven Matocec, 31-01-2013 21:00
Neven Matocec
Dear Ibai,

Unfortunately, I am still rather disorganised with my mycological machinery due to move onto the new address but as far as I can remember my two treatments I made several years ago - your fungus may be Sarcoleotia globosa. I remember such spores, asci (including the IKI reaction) and paraphyses. They could all perfectly match yours although I remember darker hymenial surface.

Cheers,
Neven
Hans-Otto Baral, 31-01-2013 21:42
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Ibai, hello Neven

the micros actually fit Sarcoleotia! And yes, that species has a dark brown to blackish hymenium and a reddish-brown stalk, so is this an albino??

I learned that Nothomitra is closely related to Sarcoleotia, and actually the living spores of your fungus resemble those of N. cinnamomea as I have seen it (HB 7042, see DVD).My interes was caught at that time with the peculiarity that the nucleus is found far down near the lower spore end, where oil drops were few.

In N. cinnamomea the complete outer ascus wall stains pale red in IKI (not MLZ!) while pale blue after KOH-treatment. Possibly this is also the case with Sarcoleotia? I never saw a specimen of that.

But Nothomitra is also dark coloured and has an elongate pileus almost like in Microglossum.

Zotto
Mario Filippa, 31-01-2013 21:48
Well,
Sarcoleotia globosa looks rather different (for the colours at least).
Another Sarcoleotia?
  • message #21573
Ibai Olariaga Ibarguren, 31-01-2013 23:41

Hi,

Thank you for the answers! I have seen Sarcoleotia globosa several times in Sweden and my feeling is that the ascocarps are larger, the shape of the fertile part is more globose, and the colour is obviously much darker. On the other hand, the micro features roughly fit my collection, the stipe bears scales-fibrils and the ecology  is  similar.

Sorry Zotto, I did not have lugol at hand when I had the collection fresh. I have also considered the genus Nothomitra and your micro drawings of N. cinnamomea certainly remind of my collection . I see that there are two more species of Nothomitra, N. sinensis and N. kovalii. The former is also dark-coloured and MLZ negative, but I don´t find much information of the latter.

Can anyone provide further information of Nothomitra kovalii?

Thanks in advance once again!

Saludos Tomás, cuánto tiempo!

Ibai.
  • message #21578
Martin Bemmann, 01-02-2013 09:59
Martin Bemmann
Hi Ibai,

unfortunatelly I don't have Raitviir 1971 but a description by Azbukina 1991 (attached).
So your spores seem to be by far to big for N. kovalii.

Regards

Martin
Ibai Olariaga Ibarguren, 01-02-2013 10:32

Thanks Martin!

I do not understand much of the description but helpful to know that the spores appear to be smaller.

Ibai.
Nina Filippova, 01-02-2013 13:05
Hello, Ibai.

there is translation of description:

Nothomitra kovalii Raitv.
Frb from stipe and head, 3-5 mm high. Head almost spherical, wavy, pale-pinkish-ochraceous, 1,5-2 mm diam. Stipe cylindrical, with low longitudinal ribs, whitish, 0,5-0,7 mm diam.
Asci clavate, with amyloid reaction at walls all over, 8 spored, 75-100 x 6-8 mk. Spores 2-seriate, narrow-fusoid, 1-2 celled, hyaline, 19-25 x 2 mk. Paraphyses exeeding the asci, filiform, 1-1,5 mk diam, enlarged at the tips to 2-2,5 mk, bent.
At the soil, very rare, in september.
Distribution at Far East: Kunashir island - Mendeleev volcano. Total distribution: found only at Far East.
  • message #21587
Ibai Olariaga Ibarguren, 01-02-2013 13:37

Thank you, much better now! :-)

There are some aspects that remind of the collection in question, but the spores of the description are far too short and narrower. I wonder if the original description gives similar measures.

Cheers,

Ibai.
Nina Filippova, 01-02-2013 14:18
Unfortunately, this description was published in local journal, and i have no good enough  library in my place to access it. You could contact Zinaida Azbukina, there are two emails from her recent papers (2011):

botany@castnet.fcbras.ru
egorova@ibss.dvo.ru

Martin Bemmann, 01-02-2013 16:01
Martin Bemmann
Hi Ibai,

Palmer 1997 ist quoting Raitviir's description:
http://www.landesmuseum.at/pdf_frei_remote/OestZPilz_6_0007-0016.pdf? (p. 12),
giving the same sizes. I think Azbukina is also just refering to Raitviir.

Regards,

Martin
Ibai Olariaga Ibarguren, 01-02-2013 16:56

Thank you Nina and Martin,

I will email her -may be she can send the original description, even though, as you point out Martin, the later descriptions seem to be quoting the original one.

I will keep you posted if I have new information!

Ibai.
Nina Filippova, 01-02-2013 17:29
Now I found that Zinaida was born in 1925, and i don't know is she still working, it would be excellent if so. But, the second email seems of Egorova Lina (she is a head of laboratory of cryptogamic plants, Institute of Biology and Soil of Far East). Probably, she may answer.