26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

11-01-2022 16:36

Jason Karakehian Jason Karakehian

Hi does anyone have a digital copy of Raitviir A (

22-04-2024 08:54

Rafael Cabral

Bonjour à toutes et tous, Quelqu'un pourrait-il

22-04-2024 20:38

Miguel Ãngel Ribes Miguel Ángel Ribes

Good afternoon.Does anyone know this anamorph?It g

21-04-2024 14:29

B Shelbourne B Shelbourne

• Genus Brunnipila: Distinct macro and habitat,

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
Macro ID?
Danny Newman, 25-06-2011 03:49
Danny NewmanWondering if an ID to genus is possible from this photograph alone, no microscopy.  Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

-Danny
  • message #15644
Stip Helleman, 25-06-2011 09:25
Stip Helleman
Re : Macro ID?
Hi Danny,
it looks like a Cenangium species

cheers,
Stip
Bernard Declercq, 25-06-2011 11:21
Bernard Declercq
Hi Stip,
Cenangium finally develops its apothecia above the substrate, while on the photo, the apothecia remain immersed in the substrate. If there is a stroma, we have to do with a Rhytismatales, a Coccomyces species maybe.
Regards,
Bernard
Hans-Otto Baral, 25-06-2011 11:33
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi all

Coccomyces is not a bad idea, but I do not see a difference to Cenangium in the development, both genera are erumpent and may finally look superficial, unless a section is made.

The substrate looks for me like Quercus. Given this is right, the fungus reminds me a bit of Cenangiopsis quercicola, a species with characteristic lanceolate protruding paraphyses.

Zotto
Danny Newman, 25-06-2011 22:34
Danny Newman

Thanks to all for your comments.  I've added a few more pictures, though none of them show much more detail than the first, I'm afraid.

Coccomyces looks plausible, at least in the formation of those black petal-like formations beneath the hymenial layer (technical term?), but size and substrate cause me to speculate.  Although there's no scale in any of the four photographs, if I had to guess, I would put the diameter of these fruit bodies at around or above several mm each.  Coccomyces appear to not only be much smaller (mycobank descriptions measure them in hundreds of microns) but also primarily confined to leafy substrates.  Though it's difficult to see in the photos posted, there appears to be the presence of outer excipular hairs as well.

Cenangiopsis quercola doesn't look right.  There's none of the thin, satin-black border as seen on several of these fruit bodies.  The hymenium seen here is golden yellow as opposed to C. quercola's which is a white/purple-brown.  The hairs here are much less pronounced than on C. quercola as well.  To what extent can each of these characteristics vary with conditions or age?

I've asked the collector for substrate and scale information and will report back here if/when he has any additional information.

Thanks again for your contributions.

• message #15648
  • message #15648
  • message #15648
Hans-Otto Baral, 25-06-2011 23:03
Hans-Otto Baral
Hi Danny

I still keep Cenangiopsis as a possibility. Here is an image of my collection, doesn't look so different. I hope the finder will bring material to you for microscopic examination, because this is a very rare species.

Zotto
  • message #15649