26-04-2024 10:07

Mathias Hass Mathias Hass

Hello, Does anyone know what this is? Found on J

24-04-2024 21:54

éric ROMERO éric ROMERO

Bonjour, J'ai trouvé ce Lasiobolus sur laissées

23-04-2024 15:18

Lothar Krieglsteiner Lothar Krieglsteiner

... but likely a basidiomycete. I hope it is o.k.

23-04-2024 13:17

Edouard Evangelisti Edouard Evangelisti

Bonjour à tous, Je viens de récolter ce que je

23-04-2024 21:49

Ethan Crenson

Hello all, A friend recently found this orange as

22-04-2024 11:52

Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová) Zuzana Sochorová (Egertová)

Hello,I made a loan of a collection of Microstoma

« < 1 2 3 4 5 > »
On flower remnants of Bergenia crassifolia
Marja Pennanen, 20-06-2010 19:51
Hello,
once again I'm in trouble...
These Hymenoscyphus-like are about 1-2 mm high and wide. They are quite yellow when wet (young?) and turn brown when dry.
  • message #12049
Marja Pennanen, 20-06-2010 19:56
Re:On flower remnants of Bergenia crassifolia
The spores are ellipsoid, 6-8x2,5-3, asci 40-50x4-5 and paraphyses narrow (about 2 micrometers wide).
The cells are brown and spherical (at stipe long and narrow).
  • message #12050
Hans-Otto Baral, 20-06-2010 22:52
Hans-Otto Baral
Perhaps a Moellerodiscus. Is the excipulum of globose cells, and the asci amyloid?
Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 20-06-2010 23:36
Hello,
amtyloid?- I can say nothing sure. If these were, it was too faint for me to notice.
End cells were in rows of 1-3.
Exicipulum cells:

• message #12056
Hans-Otto Baral, 20-06-2010 23:47
Hans-Otto Baral
Sorry, I overlooked you saying globose cells. O.k., I suppose if you have a good Lugol that stains the plsma yellow-brown, and you see nothing, then it's actually inamyloid.

Good to know would also be if there are croziers or not. But anyhow I fear this find will be a hard nut, anyhow interesting! Moellerodiscus seems quite probable.

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 21-06-2010 10:34
Danke sehr,

I actually went to my yard and managed to find some more and put one to lugol.
I really can't be sure of the amyloidity, but my opinion is that the ascus tips were not stained blue.
What I noticed now was, that the paraphyses can branch (tips can be slightly swollen) and asci can be up to 55x6 micrometers.

Croziers are really hard for me. I''m just trying to learn to notice them and am very uncertain of them. My tendency seems to be to "forget" them ;)

I try to keep up to date, what happens at the fungal world of my own yard. Why to go further, if interesting species can be found on you own corners :)

Marja
Marja Pennanen, 23-06-2010 00:38
Once again thanks Zotto.

You help made it easy for me to determine a new species, which I found on Potentilla palustris leaves (while picking Hymenoscyphus kermesinus on Betula leaves) as Moellerodiscus tenuistipes.

This on Bergenia is definitely a representative of the same genus. Diifferences exixts, for instance the cells of M. tenuistipes are much bigger..
  • message #12094
Hans-Otto Baral, 23-06-2010 08:27
Hans-Otto Baral
Ah, good!! What cells do you mean, excipular? M. tenuistipes is really similar to yours on Bergenia. Please send us also a micro of the one on Potentilla. M. tenuistipes should have amyloid asci, so this would be a good chance to check your Lugol :-)
Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 23-06-2010 10:17
Hi there,
I ment exipular cells, they were big even with small magnification and the end cells were big too and in rows of some. I didn't even use the 100x magnification or lugol because this was so obvious and took only few microphotos, while it was so late when I was studying these.

I found only one leaf carrying these. The species is new to Finland and while so I've got to save some specimen for two universities (Joensuu and Turku). So I'll use lugol when I find these more, if ever...

Gruss: Marja

• message #12099
Hans-Otto Baral, 23-06-2010 10:32
Hans-Otto Baral
As you say it is new to Findland I recommend at least to measure the spores. If you dried the fungus it will be easy to make it wet again, perhaps it is still alive. Please if possible check Lugol, needs only a very small piece taken with a razor blade :-)

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 23-06-2010 14:24
Hello,
I naturally measured the spores, asci and paraphyses.
Spores 6-8x2-3, asci 35-42x5-6 and paraphyses about 2 micrometers wide, a little bit swollen at tips. I think this is determined even without lugol. Why to do more than needed, when you got tens of specimen waiting to be treated?

My opinion is, that it's not at all easy to take a piece of a dry, small sample with razor. Sometimes the fungi just fly away or the substrate is ruined or your finger cut...
So I like my specimen fresh :)

Happy midsummer celebration to those places, where it's celebrated like here in Finland: Marja
Hans-Otto Baral, 23-06-2010 16:54
Hans-Otto Baral
I think you are still unaware of the drought-tolerant fungi. They can be revived after a quite long time. Anyhow, this is not sure here, but, the surprizes usually show up as soon as you go deeper in the matter. For me, your two samples are qute similar from the photos, and if the one on Bergenia is actually IKI- then this is a further indication for a separate species.

Often, these inamyloid asci are very important species markers. But in some cases we learned that the same species may have both, depending on the collection, because all other features were the same. Characters need actually to be checked as often as possible, and almost every character vmay vary, depending on the species.

Zotto
Hans-Otto Baral, 23-06-2010 16:55
Hans-Otto Baral
I think you are still unaware of the drought-tolerant fungi. They can be revived after a quite long time. Anyhow, this is not sure here, but, the surprizes usually show up as soon as you go deeper in the matter. For me, your two samples are qute similar from the photos, and if the one on Bergenia is actually IKI- then this is a further indication for a separate species.

Often, these inamyloid asci are very important species markers. But in some cases we learned that the same species may have both, depending on the collection, because all other features were the same. Characters need actually to be checked as often as possible, and almost every character vmay vary, depending on the species.

Zotto
Marja Pennanen, 24-06-2010 23:32
Hello Zotto,
I though, that when the danish key even mentioned Potentilla palustris as one of the substrates of Moellerodiscus tenuistipes and other microfeatures mentioned (not cell sizes) fit, this would be a piece of cake.
Sorry, but I'm really green with these things. Thank you for illumination. I'm really glad that someone takes the trouble to teach beginners :)
But when new to Finland this is going to Seppo and I think he's got better equipment than me so things will get clear...
I just take too many samples now, when the season is high and find so much new to myself (or white hairy things like Cistella, Hyaloscypha or Psilachnum, which usually need microscophy to distinguish). So I'm really busy and have so little time for one species. I shouldn't go out before I'm emptied my refrigerator, which means weeks ;)

Greetings: Marja from almoust nightless night
Hans-Otto Baral, 24-06-2010 23:35
Hans-Otto Baral
Oh, I see, you are among the ones being easily overcollected :-)
I hate it when too many unviewed specimens lie around and get worse...
Zotto